Sunday, September 30, 2012

Daily 5 Listening Center


Last year we had 'Daily 4' in my classroom because I simply couldn't afford a listening center! So this year I decided to buy some Walkmans and burn a few CD's. Welllll, 3 weeks later my Walkmans are broke, the batteries are running out quick, and all my CD's are scratched up!! (Yes, I did teach my class how to use it all, but being 6 year olds... stuff happens!)
So! My Dad of all people :), suggested that I buy some MP3 players. I looked on Amazon and did you know you can by these little guys for $7.00!?!?! I bought 4 and here's what I did:
#1: Find some good books in your classroom to be a part of your listening center. No need to buy new books, us teachers have tons! Put a label on the front of each book that says "Listening Center", so that they don't get lost in the classroom library.
#2: Now, this is going to be embarrassing, and take little bit of practice, but it will save you tons of money. Use an iPad and record yourself reading the books! This iPad app is free and it's called 'Voice Memos'. Go slow and find something in your house that will make a sound, that will signal your listener to 'turn the page'!
Tip: If you are using the same MP3's as me, you will want to say "Book 1: Stellaluna", "Book 2: Ms. Nelson Is Missing", at the beginning of each recording, because these cute little MP3's don't have a screen that says which book you're on!

#3: Now transfer all the recordings, in # order, to the MP3 players. Teach kids how to use and Voila!
Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Do you ever have the students record themselves reading?
    Sorry, I know this has been a long time.

    ReplyDelete