Sunday, September 23, 2012

Why can't kids all be reading at the same level???

Why can't kids all simply be reading at the same level?? I've got kiddies reading all OVER the map!! My 'early' readers are just starting Level A books, and my high kids are speeding through chapters! It looks like I've got my work cutout for me this year!

So here's my solution:
~I have GOT to meet with my lowest group daily!
~ Everyone in the middle will get a guided reading group 3x/week.
~ And then there's my 'high' ones!!...

Unfortunately, all of my 'high' kids aren't reading at the same level, which makes guided reading groups very difficult. So I've devised a system!!...

Each one of my high kids will no longer get a guided reading group, but instead a 1-on-1 meeting with me!!!

I will help them select a 'just right book'. Then, at our meetings I will:
1) Listen to him read...take notes all the while.
2) Suggest a possible strategy for him to work on.
3) Record the 'goal strategy' in his Personal Reading Folder.
4) Then plan make a plan with the student as to when our next meeting will take place.
5) The student will then read independently for the next day or so, keeping in mind the strategy we discussed, and recording evidence of that strategy in his Reading Folder.
6) When we meet again (a day or so later), we will discuss what he learned from the strategy and how he used it in his reading.


Now, 'what strategies' you might ask??? We use the fabulous Daily 5 in my classroom!! I have made a packet that I keep in MY guided reading binder that lists all the strategies from the CAFE menu AND I have listed evidence for each one!!

Don't do the work!!! Just download it! This ones on me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment