Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fast Start Reading Folders

(Click on pic for direct link to book sale)


This is my first year using the Fast Start program and I have to say- I am hooked! I first heard about Fast Start this summer at the 'Prevention of Early Learning Failure Conference'. The author himself- - was there. He talked to us about the program and all the research behind it.

Sooo I decided to try it out this year. Here's how I use it:

I first put together folders for each student. Inside the folders parents can find a letter I wrote describing their role in the program, and also a generic letter from the Fast Start book.

Every Monday, Wed and Friday, students get a new Fast Start poem from me. I 3-hole punch the poems ahead of time, and have taught the students how to use the brads in the folders to store their poems. Then we dissect the poems and practice reading them for about 15 minutes.

That night, students know they are to read the poem with their parent and to their parent. Then, on the back of the poem there are several activities parents can do to extend the learning. These are activities from the book that match the specific poem. I have just been telling my parents to check off or initial the activities they did with their child.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment